How to Write a Story
From nada to novel in no time. Learn how to plan, draft, and edit a complete manuscript using the articles in the How to Write a Story blog series below.
- The 4 Benefits of Pre-Writing (with author Kaitlin Hillerich)
- Exploring the 5 Layers of Pre-Writing (with author Karah Rachelle)
- How to Choose a Story Topic
- How to Know if You Have a Story or a Topic
- 11 Steps to Turn Your Plot Bunny into a Full-Fledged Novel
- How to Write a Novel Outline
- How to Research Your Novel Effectively
- Tips for Conducting Epic Story Research (a #StorySocial recap)
- Pantsers vs Plotters (and other literary lingo you should know!)
- How to Plan a Book Series (a #StorySocial recap)
- How to Choose a Main Character
- Is Your Main Character Relatable?
- How to Create a Powerful Antagonist
- The #1 Key to Creating Believable Villains
- Have You Created a Sidekick with Purpose?
- How to Write a World-Changing Mentor
- How to Craft an Epic Anti-Hero (a #StorySocial recap)
- How to Create Well-Developed Characters
- The Essential Guide to Nailing Your Character's Appearance
- How to Craft a Killer Character Goal
- How to Create Character Motivations
- 33 Ways to Write Stronger Characters
- My Favorite Method for Building Character Personalities
- 4 Ways to Discover Your Character's Voice
- Did Your Create Characters or Caricatures?
- How to Craft Brilliantly Flawed Characters (a #StorySocial recap)
- How to Craft a Believable Love Interest (a #StorySocial recap)
- Character- vs Plot-Driven Stories: Which Should You Write?
- 3 Awesome Plot Structures for Building Bestsellers
- Breaking Down The Hero's Journey Plot Structure
- The 3-Act Story Structure: How to Nail Your Novel's Opening Chapters
- The 3-Act Story Structure: How to Avoid Sagging Middle Syndrome
- The 3-Act Story Structure: How to Write A Climactic Sequence
- Crafting Strong Character Arcs for Your Novel
- How to Create a Dynamic Story That Will Blow Your Readers Away
- 4 Ways to Plot a Trilogy
- How to Craft Character Arcs for Your Trilogy
- How to Write a Trilogy: Q&A Session!
- Exploring the Many Ways to Structure Stories (a #StorySocial recap)
- Examining the Do's and Don'ts of the Great Prologue Debate
- Can we write effective prologues? (a #StorySocial recap)
- How to Nail Your Novel's Pacing
- Exploring My Outlining Process
- 4 Lessons I Learned From Writing a Serial
- The Epic Guide to Setting Your Story
- How to Choose Your Novel's Tense and Point-of-View
- 19 Ways to Write Better Dialogue
- How to Rock Your Story's Tension
- An Introduction to World-Building
- Should You Include an Epigraph in Your Novel?
- How to Choose and Build a Powerful Theme For Your Story
- How to Raise the Stakes in Your Story
- Food in Fiction: Why You Should Write About Food in Your Stories (a #StorySocial recap)
- How to Write a Killer First Draft
- Should You Fast-Draft Your Novel?
- My Top 5 Tips for Finishing Your First Draft
- How to Write Multiple Novels Using the Drafting Cycle
- How I Learned to Write Every Day
- How to Balance the Show, Don't Tell Rule in Your Writing
- How to Write in Deep Point-of-View
- My 2-Step Method for Finishing Your Novel
- How to Write a Book Series (Part #1)
- How to Write a Book Series (Part #2)
- How to Write Strong Opening Lines
- How to Write Chapters That Captivate Your Readers
- 10 Things to Do Before Editing Your First Draft
- The Difference Between Editing and Revising (and how to do both!)
- Improve Your Self-Editing in One Simple Step
- How to Find and Fix Your Novel's Plot Holes
- 8 Things to Cut When You Kill Your Darlings
- How to Identify and Cut Your Story's Filler
- How to Find Your Ideal Critique Partner
- How to Finally Wrap Up Your Novel Project
- 7 Things Editors Wish Authors Knew
Don't see what you're looking for?
Good news: this series is ongoing! Shoot me a quick message,
and I may turn your question into a brand new blog post.